In the United Food and Commercial Workers, you are the union. You come together with your coworkers; you nominate and elect union officers; you determine the working conditions and concerns that will be bargained in a contract; you will be part of a larger movement to improve the lives of working men and women in the workplace and in their communities.
The more workers join together for the good of all, the more management listens to what they have to say. In Union there is strength. Without a union you have only a few rights such as minimum wage, overtime after 40 hours and unemployment insurance. With a union, you enjoy numerous other benefits guaranteed in a union contract, such as:
- Negotiated wages, health care and retirement plans
- Defined work schedules
- Grievance procedures
- Reasonable workload requirements
- Protection from unfair treatment and favoritism by the boss
- Job security and seniority rights
- And a voice on the job to bargain for other benefits
There are over 950 UFCW local unions that belong to the UFCW International. The local unions are located across the US, Canada and in Puerto Rico.